Friday, October 26, 2012

Preparing For a Freeze

It is already a busy day, today, and going to get busier as I go. They are predicting a HARD freeze tonight, so there is much to do. I have about a quarter of an acre of garden that is growing and producing beautifully! I am so not happy about this freeze! Most of my winter squash aren't nearly ready to pick. Now to decide which veggies to try to cover in the hopes of saving, and which to go ahead and pick. I don't have near enough blankets for it all, but I sure wish I did.

The corn is about head high, but is just now getting ready to start making. It certainly won't have time to make into ears before winter so it will get cut today and fed to the goats. The extra will be brought in to dry for their next feedings.

Then the sweet potatoes have to be dug. Although some better, my lower back is still out and has been for the past couple of weeks. This will be interesting, to say the least. This was my first time growing sweet potatoes, so I sure hope they made a good mess of potatoes.

Somewhere in there I need to bake something to warm the house up, probably as the sun goes down. I wasn't expecting this much cold this early and my wood stove isn't ready to use, yet. I will have to get the stove pipe cleaned and rearrange the front room. Last year I didn't even need to use it until about the first of December! But my house is well insulated (for the most part) so when I bake something, it usually takes the chill out and keeps it out until the sun comes up and warms it. At least, on these mildly cold days. It will get really cold in here later on.

My Honey will be here tonight so I will get him to help me carry in all of my pots of herbs. I am sure hoping to keep them growing a bit longer. The ones that survived the heat are really looking nice! I am still hoping they have missed and it will stay just above freezing, but it is also suppose to be a very clear night so it could get down really low. Right now the wind is blowing HARD. It would really help to keep the temps up if it would continue to do that on through the night. It just may make it hard to stand up while I am digging, lol.

Well, I better run for now. I have lots, and lots, and lots to do to prepare for the freeze tonight, and dark will get her quicker than I want it to. I think I will go fix me that Cottage Cheese and Peaches for lunch, first, I am going to need some energy, today!

No comments:

Post a Comment