Friday, October 26, 2012

Cottage Cheese for Dinner

Wow! It really has been a long time since I last posted! Since my last post, we have been through two more summers of extreme heat and extreme drought, this season's being even worse than the last. Now, here it is October and the strange weather continues. A couple of weeks ago we had our first frost. My garden veggies, though a little bitten, came back out in the warmth that followed and have burst into bloom and production. Yesterday (the 24th) we had a near record high. Now tonight we are going to have a near record low, just above freezing (I hope). The next three nights after that are suppose to be just below freezing, brrrrrrrrr.....

I picked most of my summer squash today (green zucchini, cocozelle zucchini, and yellow straight neck squash). I picked an egg plant a couple of other things, and surveyed it all as I laid out my plan of what to pick and what to try and cover up to save over the next few days. I sure wish I could cover it all, but there is just too much.

 My microwave is on the fritz. Oh, how I am missing it! You know, there was actually life before those dangerous things. Now I am lost without it. Took a little extra work to make my hot chocolate this evening, but I got it done and oh how good it tasted after I came in from that cold! The day had started out pretty warm, then all of a sudden that front hit... whoosh!!!! The wind howled and the cold air came swooping in. The dogs and cats sure didn't like it much!

For dinner tonight I had cottage cheese and green onions (from my garden). I kind of have a system with it. I take one carton of cottage cheese, take half of it out and chop up some green onions in it for my dinner. It is even better if it can set for awhile and let the green onion flavor permeate all that cottage cheese (large curd, of course). Then the next day I add canned peaches to the other half of the carton, pouring the peach juice in over all, then eat.... mmmmmmmm.....

Well, that's it for today. It is late, I have a BIG day tomorrow preparing for the freeze tomorrow night, so I am heading on to bed. Good night, all ... and sweet dreams . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment